Munch On Makhanas
Makhanas are popularly known as Lotus Seeds, Fox Nuts, Euryale Ferox, Gorgon Nuts and Phool Makhana. These small little balls are not only blessed with a myriad of names but are a powerhouse of nutrition too. It finds its significance in religious ceremonies in India and is a popular ‘fasting’ food, prepared during Navratri and many other occasions; But if you thought Makhanas are only a fasting snack, well we will give you some reasons to love this miraculous yet underrated nut and include it in your diet and reap its health benefits.
Fox Nuts have been used in Chinese medicine since 3000 years and find an important place in the science of Ayurveda too. They are deemed as nutritious and have paved their way into the list of healthy foods, slowly but steadily. It enjoys a reputation to help strengthen the spleen and kidneys. It is a good source of Protein, Carbohydrates, Fibre, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron and Zinc. This gluten-free snack is very high in fibre and low in calories. It is a great addition to a regular diet, and also an inevitable option if you are on a low calorie, sugar-free,vegan diet. They are low in cholesterol, fat and sodium, making them an ideal snack for untimely hunger pangs. It’s a great choice for weight watchers too.
Indian cuisine makes ample use of this nutrient-dense seed in its variety of dishes. Fox Nuts make for an amazing snack to munch on. Roasted with a spoonful of ghee and topped with a dash of salt and pepper, crunchy makhanas taste heavenly, likewise to both adults and children who love to delve its amazing taste.
Health Benefits of Makhanas
Enriched with the goodness of nature, these magical round balls are packed with essential nutrients which will convince you to add them to your diet.
- Makhanas can keep you fuller for long hours; this is due to the presence of a sufficient amount of protein. Protein helps prevent you from overeating and cravings. No wonder they top the list of fasting foods.
- The high calcium content makes them great for bone and teeth health. The calcium and iron content present in makhanas make them great for pregnant women.
- The astringent properties in fox nuts help reduce kidney problems.
- Fox nuts make for great anti-ageing food as they have an abundance of anti-oxidants. A handful every day can keep you looking younger and making your skin glow. The catch is that they must not be consumed as a fried snack.
- Fox nuts have a low glycemic index which means that they release glucose slowly in the blood. This keeps you feeling full for longer. Fox nuts are great snack food for diabetics and heart patients as they contain good fat and have a low quantity of saturated fats.
- Fox nuts are high in fibre. The digestive process gets sorted with them as they prevent constipation.
- Fox nuts are great detoxifying agents. They aid in flushing out toxins from the body. They are beneficial to the spleen.
- Those suffering from wheat allergies can gorge on fox nuts as they are gluten-free but still high on protein and carbohydrate content.
- Makhanas are low in sodium content and high in potassium and magnesium, making them useful for people with high blood pressure.
- They have antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties that make them excellent for reducing chronic inflammation. Inflammation is responsible for most modern diseases like diabetes, arthritis, rheumatism. Fox nuts also have antibacterial properties.
- It has been observed that a handful of makhana daily as a snack helps to improve the sleep pattern as well as correct sleep disorders.
The beauty of these seeds is in their versatility. You can roast the seeds or fry them in a little ghee wherein they pop and resemble popcorn. These puffed seeds can be tossed with some black salt and had as a snack. Alternatively, the puffed seeds can be used as an ingredient in dishes like Makhana Kheer, Creamy Makhana with Mushrooms and Makhana Chops to name a few. A paste made with lotus seeds is used as a key ingredient in many Japanese and Chinese desserts and Indian gravies. The seed itself has a very neutral taste and takes on the flavours that are added to it.
Check our weekly menus on www.caloriesmart.in to order your favourite choice of Fox Nuts preparation and enjoy our healthy and delicious meals.
#Health #Healthymenus #Subscription #Mealpacks #Indiancuisine #Gourmet #Lunchmenu #Dinnermenu #Caloriesmart