Broc n Roll with Broccoli
Love them or hate them, there’s no denying the benefits of vegetables. And if you’re looking for a vegetable that offers the most nutritional bang with each bite, it’s hard to compete with broccoli.
Whether you’ve already discovered the deliciousness of this edible green plant, or you’re thinking about incorporating more of it into your diet, here’s everything you need to know about broccoli.
This nutritional powerhouse is no stranger to plates. Even if you haven’t delighted your taste buds with broccoli, you can probably identify its green stalk and green flowering head in a lineup of other vegetables. It’s a cruciferous vegetable that shares ancestry with other flowering plants, including cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, and kale.
Similar to other vegetables, broccoli is high in water and low in calories. So you can eat about as much as you want and keep your calorie count in check. Broccoli is also an excellent source of vitamins and minerals. Broccoli has long been touted as one of the healthiest veggies because of its nutritional makeup. This superfood is loaded with fibre, antioxidants to fight cancer, and vitamin C to aid in iron absorption.
Broccoli is one of the most nutrition-rich vegetables that one can include in their diet. It has a wide variety of nutritional and medicinal benefits. Foremost amongst them is its ability to prevent various forms of cancer, improve your digestive system, lower cholesterol levels and detoxify your body. It also helps to maximize vitamin and mineral intake, prevent allergic reactions, boost the immunity system, protect the skin and prevent defects during births. Other benefits include lowering the blood pressure, eliminating inflammation and improving vision and ocular health.
Here are some of the benefits of Broccoli:
1. Cancer prevention: Broccoli shares cancer-fighting and immune-boosting properties with other cruciferous vegetables such as cauliflower, Brussels sprouts and cabbage. Broccoli contains properties that deplete estrogens which usually cause cancer in the body. One of the important vitamin in broccoli is folate and it has been found that it is to decrease the risk of breast cancer in women.
2. Cholesterol reduction: Broccoli is packed with soluble fibre that draws cholesterol out of your body. This is because the fibre in broccoli helps bind with bile acids in the digestive tract. This makes excreting cholesterol out of our body easy.
3. Reducing allergic reaction and inflammation: Broccoli has significant amounts of omega 3 fatty acids, which are well known as an anti-inflammatory.
4. Powerful antioxidant: Broccoli contains antioxidants that can help the body in a variety of ways. Broccoli is deeply concentrated with vitamin C, making it great for immunity. Other than this, broccoli also contains flavonoids which help recycle vitamin C efficiently.
5. Bone health: Broccoli contains high levels of both calcium and vitamin K, both of which are important for bone health and prevention of osteoporosis. Along with calcium, broccoli is also full of other nutrients like magnesium, zinc and phosphorous. Because of these properties, broccoli is extremely suitable for children, elderly and lactating mothers.
6. Heart health: The anti-inflammatory properties of sulforaphane, one of the isothiocyanates (ITCs) in broccoli, may be able to prevent (or even reverse) some of the damage to blood vessel linings that can be caused by inflammation due to chronic blood sugar problems. Broccoli is great for heart health as it contains fibres, fatty acids and vitamins that help to regulate blood pressure in the body. This also helps in reducing bad cholesterol, hence leading to a healthy heart. Broccoli helps to protect blood vessels from damaging as well.
7. Diet aid: Broccoli is a good carb and is high in fibre, which aids in digestion, prevents constipation, maintains low blood sugar, and curbs overeating. Along with this, broccoli is also great for weight loss because it is rich in fibre. It is an ideal green vegetable to include in your salads and completing your five coloured vegetables every day. In addition to this, broccoli also contains proteins, making it suitable for vegetarians to complete their protein requirement.
8. Great for detoxification: Broccoli helps to detoxify your body as it contains Vitamin C, sulphur and certain amino acids. Including broccoli in your diet will help you you to remove the free radicals and toxins like uric acid from your body. This will help you to prevent problems associated with toxins like boils, itches, rashes, gout, arthritis, rheumatism and even skin diseases like eczema and hardening of the skin.
9. Skincare: Skincare not only includes glow but also its immunity. Since broccoli is a powerhouse of antioxidants and nutrients like vitamin C and minerals such as copper and zinc, broccoli helps in maintaining healthy skin. This means it also protects the skin from getting infections as well as keeps the natural glow of your skin. Broccoli is full of vitamin K, amino acids and folates, making it ideal for maintaining healthy skin immunity.
10. Eye care: Broccoli contains beta-carotene, vitamin A, phosphorous and other vitamins such B complex, vitamin C and E. All these rich nutrients are great for eye health as these help in protecting the eyes against muscular degeneration, cataract and even repairs damage done by harmful radiations we go through by being constantly on our phones or being in front of a screen.
11. Anti-ageing: Since broccoli is enriched with vitamin C, which has numerous antioxidant properties, it is great for anti-ageing. This is because antioxidants help fight the free radicals responsible for ageing. These free radicals often damage the skin. Eating broccoli regularly helps in reducing fine lines, wrinkles, skin issues like acne and even pigmentation.
With all its nutritional benefits Broccoli wins hands down over its counterparts. You simply can’t get a bigger dose of nutrients from any other vegetable, especially for such few calories.
Check our weekly menus on www.caloriesmart.in to order your favourite choice of Brocolli preparation and enjoy our healthy and delicious meals.
#Health #Healthymenus #Subscription #Mealpacks #Indiancuisine #Gourmet #Lunchmenu #Dinnermenu #Caloriesmart