10 Healthy Food Habits for Happy Living
To keep the body in good health is a duty. Otherwise we shall not be able to keep our mind strong and clear. ~ Buddha
It all boils down to the food we intake, as that’s the most natural way to provide nutrition to the body. Suraj, 38, is a software engineer by profession and a photographer by hobby. His average week comprises of 45-50 work hours. Although he is a fitness enthusiast, his hectic schedule leaves him with very little time to keep his body in shape. At such prime age, when we are focusing on our professional work life too much, we end up compromising on our health. While many people would agree that a good fitness regime helps keep health risks at bay, that might just not be good enough. Choosing and following a healthy food plan with right nutrition can help you get there. Even with a stressful lifestyle, one can minimize the risks by choosing the healthy diet. However busy you maybe, never compromise on healthy food.
Along with the healthy food and balanced nutrition, following few techniques help you digest your food better :
1. Never skip your breakfast: Breakfast is perhaps the most important meal of the day as the body prepares itself for the whole day ahead. Make sure you eat healthy food that is wholesome and rich, packed with right nutrition, before you step out of the house.
2. Watch what you eat: Portion controlled meals are the best way to have the right nutrition. You need to have the fats, carbs & proteins in the right quantities. Moreso, small habits go a long way in contributing to your health. Snack on a fruit than grab those cookies from the office pantry, for quick foods.
3. Know when to drink water: We are 70% water. Drinking plenty of water helps detoxify the body, hence giving you a glowing skin. But avoid drinking water during meals as it slows down the digestion process. Have water 30 minutes before or after your food.
4. Keep away from fast-food and soft-drinks: Fast-food is high on trans-fats and overdose of salt and sugar – unhealthy food option. Carbonated soft drinks have a high sugar content which may lead to obesity, diabetes and dental problems. Instead, choose fresh tender coconut water, buttermilk or lemonade.
5. Include enough proteins to your balanced diet: Proteins are vital for the body and should be included in ample amount in the daily healthy food plan. Red meat, Broccoli, soybeans, lentils, asparagus and spinach are some commonly found protein rich foods. Low-fat dairy products are also a rich source of proteins. Ensure that your body receives the required amount of proteins daily.
6. Choose green leafy vegetables: Make sure to add green leafy vegetables to your daily diet of healthy food. They are a rich source of proteins, iron, calcium, other minerals and dietary fiber. Green leafy vegetables are easy to prepare and quite appetizing too, hence an important element of your healthy food plan.
7. Chew your food: One of the easiest and obvious ways to digest healthy food is to chew it. Most people often eat their food in a hurry and tend to skip chewing it properly. Chew your healthy food, and it will be easy for your stomach to digest it and you also burn calories when moving those jaws.
8. Use quick asanas: Sitting in Vajrasna (Adamantine Pose) for a few minutes after having your healthy food helps you digest your food better. This yogic posture enhances blood circulation in the lower abdomen and improves the digestive process.
9. Cook at home: Prepare that Pizza you have craving in your kitchen. Turn the junk food into healthy food by using olive or mustard oil rather than sunflower/groundnut oil and make it healthier and tastier. Cooking at home is a very good investment as it lets you spend more quality time with your family.
10. Focus on your food: Most of us have our food while texting on the mobile phones or watching television and don’t really keep a count on how much we eat. Though your stomach might be full, your brain tells you that you need to eat more and you eventually end up over-eating. If you focus only on your food then you’ll eat only as much as your body requires. So, the next time you sit down to have nutrition filled plate of healthy food, keep the remote control and mobile phone away for some time.
So, choose your health food and nutrition wisely and eat better. Healthy food with yoga and light exercises like jogging and cycling can make you become more energetic, dedicated and focused in all spheres of life.
At CalorieSmart, we follow the practice of planning & preparing fresh and healthy meals so that you can conveniently have the right amount of nutrition. We have served over 3lac portion controlled balanced meals to our clients at their offices or home office.
The doctor of the future will no longer treat the human frame with drugs, but rather will cure and prevent disease with nutrition. ~Thomas Edison